Overview of benefits of a clean work environment
Did you know that most people spend aroud 70% of their time working in an office? A recent UK study found more than 500 different bacteria across 80 offices. When you learn about the types of bacteria freely found, you realise the importance of a clean work environment.
Another study by Dr Charles Gerba of the University of Arizona found that in any given minute a worker may touch as many as 30 surfaces at the work place. He discovered that whilst toilets had around 49 germs per square inch, desk tops had in excess of 21,000 germs per square inch.
Our hands are responsible for around 80% of the transferrance of disease, so it makes sense to keep surfaces clean.
TYPE OF BACTERIA FOUND:
Some of the bacteria which have been found in offices can be quite detrimental to health.
Commonly found are:
- Staphylococcus aureus
- E. Coli
- Helicobacter pylori
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa (often carried via cockroaches)
WHERE DO THEY LURK?
The most obvious place for bacteria is the bathroom, but it’s not just the toilet. Basins, taps and handles all can carry germs and bacteria which can then be transferred onto hands, and from there onto other office furniture, people and food!
Kitchen areas and lunch rooms can be sources of bacteria, along with water coolers, rubbish bins and wheely bins.
One of the most likely places for viruses and bacteria to be found is on telephones, desktops and keyboards. Vending machine buttons also tend to host germs.
Shared working spaces can be areas where many germs are found. With the prevalence of working Hubs for small business, make sure that the hub you use has regular nightly cleans.
A study by the University of Valencia found many bacteria were thriving in the drip trays on coffee machines (up to 67 different types in fact). You can read about it here.
BENEFITS OF CLEAN:
- Make a great first impression for your clients and customers, as well as your employees.
- Your business premises can project a confident and professional image
- Reduces allergies through dust minimization
- Reduces bacteria
- Reduced allergies (minimising dust)
- Reduces risk of injury and improvise safety – a clean and tidy premises helps to reduce the risk of slips and falls.
- Having a regular clean can help with regular maintenance as cleaners will pick up on things such as non operational lights, loose carpets etc
- Improves air quality
BENEFITS FOR YOUR STAFF
- Less sick leave
- Employees happier, healthier, relaxed
- Less stress when the work environment is pleasant and health.
- Demonstrates that you value your employees health.
- Less clutter means less distraction
Having regular professional cleaning is one of the best investments you can make for your business.
Call Drago today 0417 379 181 or use our online enquiry form to obtain a quote for your healthy clean premises in Geelong and district today.
Current Australian Workplace guidelines:
Current Victorian Workplace Guidelines